Search My Recipe

Friday, January 24, 2014

Zucchini-Corn Fritters

I was watching Guys Grocery Games last night (so addicted to that show) and one of the contestants made a fried zucchini cake for one of the challenges. I scoured the internet for the perfect recipe and came across this one! I love corn, so it was a nice extra:)

 Let me tell you, I was a bit nervous seeing that it was my first time creating these scrumptious little cakes, but they came out so good!!

My mom, who is a pretty picky eater loved these. They were so sweet, crunchy and just plain addicting.

My only suggestion is to wear long sleeves while cooking, some of the oil splattered on me, ouch! but oh so worth I tell you!


I served my Zucchini Cakes with some greek yogurt mixed with Sriracha and fresh parsley. Anything dipping sauce with some heat to it would pair nicely with this sweet side dish. 


Be careful! The oil tends to splatter and when it touches your skin its not fun! Keep your eyes far from the oil. Also, note that they fry very quickly. I burnt my first batch a bit because I was not watching in closley. Literally they will brown in about 30 seconds. 


Oh, man just looking at this picture makes me want to make them again for dinner tonight. Would that be so bad if I did!? This is the color you want them to look on both sides. You can also make them any size you would like. Say you are eating them for an entree, make them a large tablespoon. But say you want to serve them as appetizers, make them a teaspoon dollop. 


It's very important to put them down on a paper towel. It will soak up any of the added oil that you don't want puddled on your plate. 



Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup corn 
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
oil for frying 


Directions: 

In a large bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper. 

Next, in a small bowl, whisk together: eggs, milk, butter. And whisk them into the dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini, corn and cheese and mix well. 

Warm oil (I used vegetable oil) in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drop batter by the tablespoonful into hot oil. 
Fry until crisp and brown, turing once with tongs. Remove and set onto a paper towel. 

Serve hot! I served it with a mixture of greek yogurt and Sriracha sauce. So good!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment